replacing castors...

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:15:13 -0700

Hi Terry,
Be sure you know whether you are dealing with an American market U1 or grey
market.  The casters are different.  I found out the hard way.  I ordered
replacement casters for a U1, not realizing the size of the socket is
completely different resulting in an extra trip with considerably extra
effort.

As for tilting the piano...if there isn't room for a tilter, do get someone
to help you, at least to steady the piano while you work on it and also to
give your back some help.
Good luck,

jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Charly Tuner
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 6:59 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: replacing castors...

Hi all,

I would like to replace the casters on my Yamaha U1, as they are quite
rusted and "frozen". Can anyone suggest a way I can do this--alone? I
thought I had once seen a type of hydraulic jack that has a lift similar to
one of the blades on a fork lift...if so, this would enable me to "slide"
the blade UNDER the piano, and replace each castor, 2 at a time, WITHOUT
having to move the piano. I don't want to use a tilter because of limited
space in my apartment, and also because it's quite immoveable in it's
current state; I would have to move the piano 180 degrees, and away from the
wall to use the tilter, and this is not an option, so, that's where my idea
of a special floor jack came in. If anyone knows where I can find such a
thing, I'd love to know. Thanks!

Terry Peterson
Los Angeles, CA
Associate Member, PTG