ETD Question

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:12:21 -0400

> those little light thingies just wouldn't settle
> down for her.  Actually, nor would they for me!

> I am only hoping that if my hearing causes problems in the next
> fifteen years or so, that I can use accumulated knowledge, along with
> an electronic device, to make up some of the natural deficiencies

When we tune aurally we do not spend the duration of the
tone evaluating it's position.  I couple of very quick tests
tells us all we need to know to make a note relate well with
the others.

Such is the case with an EDT.  One second or so is all that
is needed to determine location.  More than that confuses
the eye, the mind and the tuner.  A quick look is far better
than a long look.

I am one of those who's tuning ear has gone but I find that
since I know HOW to tune aurally I can do a better job with
an EDT than without it.  Once a note is where the machine
wants it I can aurally determine its location in terms of
what _I_ want to hear.  On some pianos it is very hard to
hear, like me, so I go with experience, skill, knowledge and
trust the machine by understanding it and it's limitation.

In my case the EDT is an aid, a tool (like a half ton of
other tools I have) and a guide.  For the mentioned student
it is a crutch.  When she can cross from one side to the
other she _will_ be a tuner.

Using and understanding one now will help you do a better
job later when you _need_ one.

		Newton (True Confessions)