MAC vs PC

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 07:56:13 -0500

on 6/11/00 11:49 PM, Doug Garman at dgarman@granbury.com wrote:

> I just need some convincing arguments to overcome the cost factor (if indeed
> there is one).  I got burned once by Apple.  I hope that doesn't happen again.

If you are looking for a computer that won't go obsolete down the road, you
are bound to be disappointed. The "computer" is still heavily in development
and today's new computers will eventually be just as outmoded as the Apple
II is now.

That said, I have a decade old computer (an Atari ST) still in use every day
on which I keep my customer records. Works great. A friend of mine still
keeps his customer records on an Apple II. If a computer does what you need
it to do, the fact that there are bigger/faster computers out there is
irrelevant.

My daughter is going off to college (sob!) in a couple months and has
requested an iMac to take with her. My other kids are lobbying for me to
replace their 4 year old Performa with an iMac. There are no Windows
machines in our future.

There _are_ a few Windows-only programs that I would like to be able to run
and cannot because I don't do Windows, but the list is very short. I get by.

Figure out what software you want to run, and then buy the computer to run
that software. I'll bet you could be happy either way, with a Mac or a
Windows machine.

Best wishes,

Kent Swafford