ETD Question

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 19:04:38 -0500

Well, about this "arming yourself with knowledge", I am getting old
enough that no matter how much knowledge I get, the ears may die, and I
hope, someday that an ETD will hake over where the old ears fail.

We have a nice young lady working the Randy Potter course. She has a SAT
III.  I went over a piano on which she'd spent six hours. She called and
said she'd ruined this thing, and had no idea what to do with it.
Actually she was quite close, esp. considering she'd had to do a pitch
raise on it.  But the machine did not fix inexperience, which caused most
of her frustration, as those little light thingies just wouldn't settle
down for her.  Actually, nor would they for me!   (I had thought to play
around with it a bit, and it was a total frustration, perhaps begging the
question of just how much knowledge old dogs can gain...........)  Went
back to the aural stuff, and really spent little time cleaning up the
tuning.  This lady will be a find tuner, and relatively soon, and will
probably take the Oriental market away from all of us, since that's her
social rooting, and I expect she'll make a very positive showing in that
arena of her choice for work.

I think if I'd started with electronics, "knowing what I know now", I'd
have shot myself long ago. When the subject of ETD's versus ears came up
in school with Jim Geiger, he simply said, "A good tuner is a good tuner.
A poor tuner is a poor tuner."  A machine will neither save nor destroy a
person.  I am only hoping that if my hearing causes problems in the next
fifteen years or so, that I can use accumulated knowledge, along with an
electronic device, to make up some of the natural deficiencies.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.