Unequal Temperaments

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 19:25:10 EDT

Hi Avery and all:
    I have for some time been suggesting that Chopin's music might have a
significantly different structure when played on the DeMorgan temperament.
Well, today was ground center.
       We  begin recording our second temperament CD next week and Enid
Katahn came over to try the Chopin piece on the DeMorgan tuning.  She has
both her pianos at home in more conventional well temperaments and this was
the first time for her to try it on a reversed order of tonality.  It was
amazing.  For any that would like to hear it ahead of time,  use Jorgensen's
numbers and play the Impromtu 66.  I have also heard the op. 28 preludes on
this tuning and the results are spectacular.
   Even more surprising was later this afternoon when a local piano
pro,(plays for a major country act) came over and tried this "oddball"
temperament.  He really got into it and was, as he said later, playing
totally new voicings before he began playing totally new music.  ( it is
often hard to get some of the working pros to let their guard down and just
pick, I think the tuning sent him out in the zone almost instantly!)
      I think he may have gotten the idea of a song while wandering
fecklessly among the keys.  His own piano is kept in a Broadwood tuning, and
the reversed order of the DeMorgan was a totally new texture to him,  but he
doubled his tuning budget for the next project  so that we can use several
different tunings,  what an idea!  If this actually happens, I will post the
title on the list here.
    Avery?  Have you got a meantone under the jazzer's hands down there in
Houston yet? I still think that is going to be a very interesting sound.
Keep us posted.
Regards,
Ed Foote