Unequal Temperaments

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:03:39 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/00 7:58:21 AM Central Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<< Keith writes:
 << I
 have some charts which show cents deviation from equal temperament. My
 question is, can I simply add or subtract these numbers up and down the
 complete 88-note scale or do the cents deviations change as the octaves are
 stretched?  >>

 Greetings,
 The cents deviations will not change over the scale.  If the numbers in your
 machine are already such that the octaves are stretched to your taste,
 adding cents to them will not change your octaves.
     The easiest way to use the SAT I for this is to use your pitch change
 buttons to add a value, such as 0 for the A, or maybe 4 cents for the F, -3
 cents for the E, or whatever your new temperament calls for, and then, tune
 all the A's, in one pass, then  all the F's at once and so on.  For safety,
 zero your machine between each setting so that there is no cumulative
 addition or subtraction of your cents deviation.
     You may find that doing the most altered notes first to be beneficial,
 as they may affect the soundboard like a small pitch raise.  You may need to
 particularly if you will be trying the meantones with their more drastic
 departures from ET.
   Good luck, and remember,  judge your result with music, not 20th century
 techniqes or expectations.  I think you will like not only the tonal palette
 that occurs with the unequal tunings, but also,  the freedome from the
 unrelenting beating of all the thirds.
 Regards,
 Ed Foote RPT

Now ask yourself, is this really any way to tune a piano?  Is this a way to
get to know and understand what temperaments are all about?  What kinds of
effects can be expected?  Which kind of temperament would be best to use for
which piano under which circumstances?

Let's see, you take measurements of the difference in inharmonicity between
two different partials on three different notes first, then wait a few
seconds while the ETD makes a calculation for you.  Do you trust that
calculation?  What if the piano you have has an irregular scale design?  If
this calculation is inaccurate for ET, it most certainlay will be for
whichever other temperament you may choose.

If the temperament you are using has irregularly tempered intervals, does it
not also make sense that you may want to "temper" your octaves a little
differently as well?  No smooth curve octave stretching calculation whether
it be the FAC, RCT or Tunelab program can cope with this.  No one who likes
to use the "deviation of a deviation", plug in in a dozen numbers (without
making a mistake doing that, of course) method of tuning will ever admit that
the octaves produced may not be ideal.  It would require, God forbid, an
aural correction.

I strongly discourage this approach to the study of Histoorical Temperaments
(HT).  It is no more productive than to have a beginner learn to tune using
an ETD without learning to listen and to construct intervals.  Such
individuals rarely are able to pass the PTG RPT Tuning Exam.  They cannot
aurally recognize an error in tuning or whether the calculation is accurate
for the piano in question.  Tuning this way loses the concept of art that it
should, by all rights have.

Ask yourself this:  How many strings could you tune, how many intervals could
you construct aurally during the time it would take you to do the FAC
calculation, then plug in the deviations?  Does not tuning all the A's first,
then cancelling out that deviation, then plugging in the next one, (making
sure that it is correct, of course and that the sign has not been reversed or
that the figure has not been misread from the book or chart), then tuning all
of the A#'s or choosing the largest deviations first, as was suggested,
remembering which ones you have done and which you haven't and going over
some of them again, sound like an awfully awkward way to tune a piano?

What if part of your piano is even as little as 5 cents off when you start?
If you only tune each of these notes once, do you expect them to stay where
you tuned them by the time you are finished?  What if it is 10 cents off?
What if it is a typical situation with an irregular scale and the pitch
varies from 5-10 cents off to as much as 30 cents off from where it should
be?  Would you still expect the piano to sound like it should tuning it the
way that was suggested here?

There are no shortcuts to learning and understanding new skills.  It really
concerns me that these ideas will be "taught" at the Convention as a valid
way to tune the piano.  In my view, it will be the easiest way to insure that
whoever does try this will conclude that the whole area of HT tuning is not
worth pursuing.  How many will say, "I tried that HT stuff once and the
results were a disaster so I just tune ET".  And among those who say that,
how many will not recognize that the "ET" that they think they are tuning is
not ET at all?

I suggest getting some HT tuning books from the library, practice aural
tuning, decide which kind of temperaments work for you and your goals and
learn to program your results into the SAT if you desire to use that device.
That way, a thorough understanding will be developed.  There will be the
ability to make a decision about octaves rather than relying on a calculation
that may be less than satisfactory.  Understanding temperament concepts and
learning to control the piano rather than hoping that some list of numbers
will provide a satisfactory result is the way to be successful regardless of
which combination of ideas is the goal.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin