Action Geometry

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 23:31:14 PDT

Jim,

Thanks for your post, you said;

  Well just make sure that the "heavy" the customer complained about is the
"heavy" you are trying to solve. :-)

So true!  I've run into that before.  However, this customer played until
she was a teenager and had entered numerous competitions.  She had always
hated the action and now she wants her 7 year old daughter to start lessons.
  It seems that if we make it more like a standard action that her daughter
might encounter again (ie., when she lives with her father during the school
year), and make it a lighter action, the little girl might have it somewhat
easier.

<<" Another issue is that the new
hammertails are 3/16" shorter than the originals.">>
  Why?

Because the originals are not available sizes and Wally said he thought I
might be able to make them work by installing new backchecks with longer
wires.

We're not sure what the best choices for touch weight, weight resistance and
friction resistance are?

Funny thing happened in the middle of hours of weighing off the action, the
phone rang and the prospective customer asked "Do you tune pianos, and what
is the wait?"
How to answer him?  We had been trying to determine the weight all day!

Diane