SAT FAC numbers

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:29:07 EST

In a message dated 1/30/00 2:30:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pianolover@worldspy.net writes:

<< Btw, Tuning went well, (for a newbie)  I used the SAT to tune the the
middle strings, then turned it off and tuned the remaining unisons aurally to
the tuned middle string. Sounds pretty darn good! I figure after another
couple HUNDRED pianos, I'll be doin' ok!

I hate to tell you this, Terry but that was only a *rough* tuning.  If you
want it to be better, you'll have to do it all over again.  I would never
offer a tuning I had done just one time the way you described for money.
With practice, you can do both tunings in an hour or less, just like many of
us do.  When you have to change the pitch more drastically, you will need to
use your reset feature to compensate.  Any portion of the piano which is more
than 3 cents sharp or flat of desired pitch needs to have the reset feature
used during the rough tuning part.

There is a lot to learn.  I would also caution that if you learn to depend on
the SAT too soon, you'll not likely ever learn to tune well enough by ear to
pass the PTG Exam. It is a trap many, many technicians have fallen into.

Good luck,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin