Mason & Risch question

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:27:23 -0500

At 01:00 AM 01/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>John,
<snip>
>Mason & Risch made an interesting "goof" in some old models of this era.
>You may find two strings (a bi-chord) on the left tenor at the bass break
>for which there is no key or action component. A muting damper wedge can
>be found toward the bottom of the string length.
and
>>Jon Page wrote:
>>Was it a goof? Maybe it was an attempt not to have the first tenor note
>>at the end of the bridge.
>>This thought just occurred to me, intentional distancing from the end.

I believe that a report on the NAMM show several years ago mentioned a
Kawai (&/or other brands) with this feature, possibly at the bass end of
the bass bridge. Definitely not a mistake! When we've got the searchable CD
of 20 years of the PTJournal we'll all be able to cite our references with
greater authority.

Patrick