Refinishing Problem

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:20:23 -0500

PianoTech Refinishers:

I am looking for input from any of the refinishers in the group that work
with water-base materials. I am having trouble with what I believe is
commonly referred to as "orange peel".

I am using Enduro polyurethane water-base hi-gloss clear-coat (numerous
refinishers have indicated that it is the "best") with an Accuspray spray
gun equipped with a #9 nozzle and a 0.043 tip (this is the combination
recommended by Enduro for the product I am using). My sprayer is supplied
with air by a 3-stage turbine. I am typically spraying with atmospheric
conditions of about 80 degrees and 60% relative humidity.

My understanding is that "orange peel" (my refinishing is coming out looking
like the skin of a basketball - only finer grained - is this "orange peel")
is caused by the material drying before it has sufficient time to flow out.
It seems to me that 80 degrees is not too hot ( it is hard to get it lower
in the summer), and 60% humidity is certainly not too dry. I am spraying
within 6 - 8 inches from the object being sprayed. I am putting on what I
think is enough material - it looks real wet and if I put any more on it
will run (I know that for a fact!).

What on earth am I doing wrong????? Anyone???? Any ideas????? Help!!!!!!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com