Empty Key lead holes

carl meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:38:54 -0800

Would empty key lead holes be considered black holes?  Hmmmm?

I noticed Del Fandrich mentioned spruce flour.  I wonder if he has a
source or does he make it himself.

The reason I'm interested is that I've wanted to mix epoxy with spruce
flour and microballons to fill small cracks in sound boards.  Since I
believe the spruce flour would be too dark due to light refraction, the
white microballoons would lighten it enough to match if the proportions
are right.  Ive tried it using microballoons with a touch of powder
stain (prima vera by Mohawk) and that worked okay but matching darkness
is tricky since it doesn't take much to get it too dark.

Of course, I dry out the piano, wedge the board up, clean out the crack
with a dental tool, put masking tape on both sides of the crack and
using a putty knife seal the top of the board with the mixture, let it
cure, then turn the piano upside down and fill the bottom of the crack
with liquid epoxy.  I like epoxy and glue.  They're high tack products.
Seems everyone now is following the motto "Don't screw it, Glue it"!

So Del, if you have a source I'd appreciate the info.  If you make your
own, do you have an easy way?  By the way is that self rising flour?

Carl Meyer (assoc.)
Santa Clara, Ca.