apprentice fees

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:50:28 -0500

My apprenticeship entailed being paid $2.00 per hour in 1971.
Minimum wage was $1.60. I was more than happy. Enthralled, Beside myself . . .

If you are being charged as a student for lessons, there is no guideline.

I think it should be the other way around. You get paid. $7/hr trainee wages.
You are still performing labor, tedious at times which does relieve your
mentor.

But then again, finding someone to take you under their wing is a little
difficult.
I know I started looking in the summer of 1971 and found someone in the
fall of
that year.

Had I not made that connection, who knows; I could have gotten a really good
job.

A matter of perspective,

Jon Page

At 09:48 AM 01/28/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone tell me what the typical hourly rate (or a general ballpark
figure)
a mentor might charge an apprentice? In my case, my training would take place
almost exclusively in the shop, helping with action parts, replacing felts,
shaping hammers, etc., pretty much everything short of tuning, which hopefully
I will be doing on the floor af a piano dealer in the near future.  Thanks.

>Terry
>LA, CA

>Get free Internet service and email at http://www.worldspy.com

Jon Page,   piano technician