Pitch raise time.

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:46:50 -0500

Wim,

Good idea.  I'm sure we'll have a number of folks who can easily demonstrate
this technique at the Institute in Arlington this summer.  We'll have
classes on using different ETDs, various hammers (traditional, impact),
various temperaments and just about everything else you can imagine.  In
particular, Dan Levitan will be offering his class "Anatomy of a Pitch
Raise" and Mitch Kiel would be able to give a lot of pointers in his class
"Impact Hammers."

For a full listing and the schedule, click on the link to the Institute that
you see below.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Assistant Director - PTG Institute 2000
July 5-9 - Arlington, VA
email:  agilreath@mindspring.com <mailto:agilreath@mindspring.com>
Visit the Institute 2000 web page at:  http://www.equaltemperament.com/PTG/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2000 9:31 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Pitch raise time.

In a message dated 1/28/00 6:48:16 AM !!!First Boot!!!, cgpiano@webtv.net
writes:

<< I am willing to send twenty dollars ($20.00) to any piano
 technicians who send me a videotape record of them pitch raising a piano
 in 20 minutes or less, and then tuning that piano in 40 minutes or less.
 The work can be with an ETD or aurally.

This sounds like a nice offer. But considering it will take me about ten
minutes to set up a camera, another 10 or 20 minutes extra to make sure I
got
it on tape, and perhaps do it again if it didn't come out right, $10 for a
cassette, and probably about $5 to send it to you, I will be loosing money
on
the deal.

Why do you want "proof" that someone can do a pitch raise in 20 minutes or
less, and tune a piano in 40 minutes or less? Aren't we trustworthy enough
people for you to believe we can actually do this?  Why would we lie about
something like this?

If you want a demonstration, go to a seminar or convention where a class
like
this is taught. Or ask a technician in your area if you can spend a day with
him/her.  Why should we take time out of our schedule to show we can do
this?

I don't want to sound cynical, or appear like I don't want to help you, but
there are better ways to learn how to do this.

Just my thought on the subject.

Wim