key width

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:53:03 EST

I tuned a Steinway L and an August Forster piano yesterday. The client made a
comment about the key width differences between the two of them. So I
measured and sure enough, there is a difference. The ivories are the same
width on both pianos, but the ebonies on the Steinway were about 1/32" wider
than the Forster. The gap between the keys on the Forster, however, was about
1/64" more than on the Steinway. The over all effect, though, was that the
Forster key spread was narrower, which she had to get used to,

Not being a piano player, I would never have noticed the difference, but has
anyone else ever heard of this? Are there other pianos out there with
narrower, (or wider) than usual key spreads?

The Forster was made in East Germany, and the polyester finish on it is
cracking, as is the finish on the soundboard.

Wim