1913 Knabe appraisal

lnichol@cdsnet.net lnichol@cdsnet.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:43:08 -0800

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 1/27/00 6:57:21 AM !!!First Boot!!!, lnichol@cdsnet.net
> writes:
>
> << From:    lnichol@cdsnet.net
>  Sender:    owner-pianotech@ptg.org
>  To:    pianotech@ptg.org (Pianotech group)
>
>  I'm appraising a 1913 Knabe that is in surprisingly good condition, not
>  much wear or environmental damage and even close to being in good
>  regulation.  The case is made of Circassian Walnut, which is what I'm
>  wondering about.  Is this wood unique enough to affect the appraisal?
>  If anyone has any input on appraising this piano, please e-mail me
>  directly instead of posting it on the pianotech site.  Thank you.
>  Louise Nicholson RPT
>  lnichol@internetcds.com
>
> Louise:
>
> A 1913 Knabe what?  Grand, what size.? upright?  please tell us more.
> Condition of soundboard. Torque readings on the pins. Shape of the hammers?
> Are the keytop still the original ivory? Does it have a matching bench?
> Curious minds want to know.
>
> Wim

Thanks for catching my omissions! (Sorry!) It's a 5'2" grand,
soundboard, bridges, strings and downbearing great, good tone, original
unblemished ivories, (did not take a torque reading but turned the most
out-of-tune pins and they were tight,) matching bench, hammers need
filing of course but are not deeply grooved.  Also, to answer Ferrel's
question, the owners remembered it being Circassian Walnut "from Italy",
so looked it up in the dictionary and low and behold they were right. At
least about the name.  It says "Native to the Old World and used in
making furniture".  Hope that gives a clearer picture. The case is in
very good condition.
Thanks, Louise Nicholson