High Humidity in Winter?

Tom Robinson tomnjan@bellsouth.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:04:28 -0500

Hi List.
My old farm house was built in 1841.  It has three layers of flooring
(no floor insulation yet).  Walls and ceilings are insulated well.  I
have closely monitored relative humidity levels inside for the past
year.  During both winter and summer, humidity rarely falls below 60%.
I attribute the high level in winter to a combination of air
infiltration through the floor and the use of a ventless natural gas
heater (central heat and air some day....).  In summer I use air
conditioning, but I have large shade trees which drastically reduce the
need for it.  In this situation, I have found no need for a complete DC
system.  In fact I am adding another 25w heater to my old upright.  In
this area a lot of churches use unvented gas heaters in basement rooms
especially, which only adds to the humidity problem.  Something to look
for when you suspect humidity problems.

Tom Robinson
East Tennessee