Strip Muting/unisons

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:15:07 -0800

I use three strips to mute the whole piano.  I cut a 1" strip into two
(some folks leave them attached) by slicing it into two: one piece is
1/3", leaving the other 2/3" wide.  I strip the center section above the
hammer line up to the treble break.  Then I mute the treble section
below the hammer line.  I put the strip in, and then nudge it down
against the dampers and so on, up to the top.  If there's no clearance
because the dampers are too close to the strike line, I press the damper
pedal and/or pull the dampers away and push the strip down in front of
the dampers.  I use an upright hammer spacer tool to insert the strip,
and also use it to push the strip down in the treble section.  I use the
third strip for the bass.  Then I tune the whole piano, and go back to
do the unisons from the top to the bottom, right string.  Then back
doing the left one.
    Any questions?
    Paul McCloud