Precision Strobe Tuner

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:30:07 +0100

Michel Lachance wrote:

> >That being said, grin without further comment... hehe... I think my reading
> >of
> >the last advertisement on these strobe tuners indicated that they have this
> >feature.
>
> Sorry, I have just read it and didn't see it.  To be able to manually offset
> each note has nothing to do with a specialized program that computerize a
> whole stretch curve and connects all the octaves together with a smooth and
> nice intervals progression.

Just re-read the ad myself and have to concure.. does have templates tho..
whatever they exactly mean by that.. predetermined average stretches I suppose..
Still.. the argument about tuning curves hasnt been resolved satisfactorily to
my mind of thinking, and is a whole discussion in itself. That being said.. they
work pretty well.

> Besides, calculating a whole tuning is just one of an assets of the specific
> piano tuning devices.  The pitch raise program just itself is worth ten
> times the extra money you may pay for it.

A little Korg auto tuner works just as well for a pitch raise.. if you are able
to figure out in your head how much to raise.. which is no problem.

> >Curioius about one thing tho... in the end.. for just reading the frequency
> >of
> >vibrating strings... anybody out there know if the Strobe approach is any
> >better
> >then the SAT or the two puter based programs ??
>
> 0.01 cents precision for RCT.  Close enough for Rock and Roll :-)

Have to refer you to Jim C's post on precision.. will say no more here

> Michel Lachance, RPT
>
> >Richard Brekne
> >I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
> >Bergen, Norway

Gotta say Michel... the jury is still out on ETD's and as far as they have come
through the years.. they still have a way to go.. The idea of a smoothly evened
out tuning curve has one major weakness... real inharmonicity on a real piano.
Indeed thats why the best ETD tuners end up tweaking the tunings a good deal in
the end.

Dont get me wrong.. I like ETD's.. but for what they can teach me.. not for
their ability to decide what a good tuning is or isnt. In the end a good tuning
is the result of a good portion of skill, knowledge and subjectivity... with
accent on the last. Puters dont have that last ability and no amount of
programing is going to teach them that.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Associate, PTG