pitch raise time

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:53:07 +0100

Hi Jim and all who have followed this thread.

While aggreeing with you experienced fellows in principle about the 10 minute tuning..
I would like to return to my first posting on this thread which was in response to the
young fellow who posed the question that got this thread going. He wondered about
doing this pitch raise in 20 minutes.. he was haveing a hard time doing it in 40 if I
remember correctly.

We are talking about an inexperienced greenhorn, just getting started out, and I gotta
think that talk of 8 - 10 minutes is kinda imposing, at least if not set in a
perspective that makes sense for a begining tech. Thats why I suggested he start out
slowly.. getting a feel for both the tuning hammer and a general feel for roughing in
and getting close. I further suggested that he set his sights on 20 minutes for the
present, and I personally believe this is reasonable for the first 6 months or so in a
tuners training.

There are over 225 pins on almost every piano .. at 10 seconds a shot thats 37.5
minutes.. Do do this in 20 minutes takes 5 and a half seconds on each pin. Thats
plenty fast to advise a beginning tuner I would think.

Not that greenhorns should be ignorant of the fact that experienced tuners can whip
through a pitch raise in 10 minutes or less... but thats for when you get pretty good
at all this. The object as Jim and others point out is to get the piano balanced out
at reasonably good tension. If you dont do that because of moving faster then your ear
and skill allows for... then you better slow down a bit.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Associate, PTG
Bergen, Norway