ringing dampers

BRPIANO007@AOL.COM BRPIANO007@AOL.COM
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:27:58 EST

In a message dated 1/25/00 12:35:47 PM Central Standard Time,
harlip58@yahoo.com writes:

<< I recently tuned a very poor quality Hyundai grand
 piano. >>
 the
most recent is that the bass dampers, while
technically, fine(they are not worn out or out of
position) simply don't dampen the sound well,

Cameron Jacobi,
For what its worth I've run into this problem a time or two. It usually
happened on the first string of the bass/tenor break. You know the longest
string with the shortest damper. I tried all kinds of adjustments but the
damper just didn't seem heavy enough to work properly.

If you go to a stain glass shop you could  ask for a length of lead used to
solder (sp?) the lead pieces of the glass. This comes in rolls in different
thicknesses. I used some about 1/8 inch thick, but you can get thinner stuff.
 I wrapped the lead around the damper wire just above  the lever. The great
part about this repair is that the lead is very pliable and can be wrapped
very tightly around the damper wire. It doesn't take much and you don't have
to worry about  looseness or noises. The lead is wound on in a spiral. You
can do it with the action removed but the damper wire still on the damper
lever. You can take needle nose pliers and pinch the beginning and end of the
lead tightly to the damper wire for added security.

If you don't like the way this looks you can always try it to see if that is
what is needed and then go back and add lead to the wood in the lever. If its
just one or two I'd try it. If its a bunch I'd look elsewhere for other
reasons this is happening.

And to all the others on this list................I've been watching ya'll
The Lurker
Shawn Theriot
Associate, PTG
Baton Rouge Piano Services