pitch raise time

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:43:08 -0800

An old SOT can be had for next to nothing for pitch raising.
Not that I've got one to sell.

> * Yes, inconceivable as it may be, there are still strictly aural tuners
> left on the planet. Have fork, will raise pitch aurally.

I take it from your posts you do a lot of soundboard work etc.?
Do you use the same technology from 100 years ago?  Yeah,
you still use chisels etc. but you probably got a nice
assortment of power goodies and your shop is pretty modern
and up to date.  I want my tuning gear etc. just as up to date
mainly to make my life easier and for consistant, quality work.
I don't earn much of my living in the shop.  Out standing in my
field is where I'm at.

> * I suggest you try it some time. It's quite possible to reliably do a
> decent pitch raise aurally.

Hey, been there, done that.

> Realistically, I don't expect to be spending a grand or more on an ETD to
> use for pitch raises. I surely don't do enough of them to justify either
> the price, or the time spent on explanations to the customer every time I
> used it. BTW, how do you not listen to pitch raises? Do you wear high
> attenuation ear plugs, or a headset?

I still have the ears on but I'm not listening except for pulling in
the unisons.  I could use the ETD for unisons but its faster
without it.

David I.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA