What we charge?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:22:48 -0500

Hi Terry,

I -wish- I had never heard of charging sales tax for services.  But
somewhere back in the late '80s or so, the state of Pennsylvania decided
that we must charge sales tax on services, which is and has been 6% here.  I
think it stinks, but nobody asked me what I thought.  In my particular area,
I only have to worry about the 6% sales tax.  In some areas such as the
Philadelphia area, they have imposed an additional 1% local tax.  (That's in
addition to the 6% sales tax for a total of 7%.)  Disgusting.  The only time
I can get out of charging the sales tax is with a tax exempt organization
such as a church.  But the way things are going, I don't look for that to
last all that much longer either.

I hate taxes.  But I haven't figured out how to be in business without
dealing with them.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net

> I have NEVER heard of charging "tax" on a tuning, which is usually ALL
labor. I know that there would maybe be tax on parts, if needed, but labor?
Is labor tax charged only in certain states? Of course, i am a newbie
tuner/tech, so maybe I am just unaware of this matter. I know that in MOST
cases, there is NO tax on labor; is piano tuning labor an exception?