pitch raise time

ginacarter ginacarter@email.msn.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:01:25 -0500

Ron,

Dr. Coleman is right, as usual. The objective is to get the tension
equalized throughout the piano as soon as possible. It does not matter, I
repeat, it does not matter which tools you use - your ears or an ETD. I
personally find it much, much easier to do a pitch raise with the assistance
of an ETD. For those of you who tune completely aurally, well bless you my
chile, if that's what makes you happy, it makes me happy for you. :-) I am
sure that an aural pitch raise by a competent tuner is just the same as an
ETD pitch raise by a competent tuner. Both ways should ensure end results
that allow the piano to be tuned in a normal time frame after the pitch
raise. One way is just as good as the other; it's just a matter of
individual preference.

Very frankly when I am pitch raising, I trust my Accutuner completely. I do
not attempt to listen to beats; I do not listen to intervals; I stop the
lights where the Accutuner says it should be, tuning unisons as I go, and
move to the next note as fast as I can. I just want to get it equalized as
quickly as possible. When finished, I almost always find that the piano is
within 5 cents or usually closer to where it should be for the tuning. On a
decent piano, a pitch raise normally takes me less than 15 minutes and makes
it possible for me to do the tuning in around 45 minutes more or less.

I envy you living in a climate that doesn't have the kind of humidity
changes we have so that you don't have that many pitch raises. On the other
hand I love the seasonal changes and all the rest of the stuff that cause
our humidity swings so I'm not complaining (well, not too much except when
every piano in one day of tuning needs a pitch raise <g>).

Gina