pitch raise time

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:47:27 -0700 (MST)

HI Clyde:

George Defebaugh and I used to demononstrate pitch raising at our
Institute classes at the Conventions. We did this for several years.
On our video "Aural & Visual Tuning Techniques", I complete the rough
Pitch raise in 10 minutes. Sometimes in the class I did it in 9 minutes.
George demonstrates his quickie temperament in 1 min 10 seconds. It was
pretty good too.

The main point about pitch raise is to get the tension balanced over
the entire piano in a short time so that you can then concentrate on
doing a fine tuning.

In opposition to this view, one technician stressed the importance of
doing precise pitch raises because it saves time in the final tuning.
A very astute observer mentioned that on this basis then, one could
do a careful 4 hour pitch raise and then his fine tuning would only
take 15 minutes (a little humor here). No, just forget about tuning
when you are pitch raising, think tension balance. Quick and dirty
is better than slow and careful. Even if one has to do two pitch
raises before the fine tuning, it is still better than slow and
careful pitch raises.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS A side benefit of doing fast pitch raises it that it speeds up your
hearing acuity. You make faster decisions. This rolls over into your
fine tuning and will also speed up your fine tunings and they will
be better.  JWC