What we charge?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:36:57 -0500

Hi Wim,

You wrote:
> I know it is against the law to talk about how much we charge...

Is it really?  This is one of those things I'd like to know more
specifically about.

Why is it against the law to talk about how much I charge?  If somebody
calls me on the phone and wants to know how much I charge for a piano
tuning, it's $65 plus tax.  That's what I charge.  There are others in my
area who are higher.  There are a few who are lower.  Frankly, I don't care
what other people are charging, beyond curiosity.  I have set my price
according to what I believe is appropriate for me.

When we call a professional in another trade, say the furnace repair guy, do
we expect to know what he charges his customers?  I would certainly hope so.
Does he know what his competition charges?  Probably.  I would hope so.
Does that mean they've reached a 'back alley agreement' as to what they're
going to charge all of their customers?  I seriously doubt it, although
THAT'S what I would consider to be price fixing, conspiring with others in
your trade to fix prices...  I can see that this type of practice could be
considered to be less than legal.

My point is, I charge what I charge, irrespective of what you charge.  My
prices are not a secret.  This idea that we can't discuss what we believe
are fair prices in our markets doesn't make any sense to me, especially
considering the geography between us.  It doesn't mean we'll all charge the
same prices.  We may or may not.  Business people, piano technicians in
particular, tend to find the price points where they are most comfortable
anyway.  Some will want to be "pretty much where the average is".  Some will
want to be a cut above in quality and service, and charge higher prices to
match.  Some will make it their point to be a couple of dollars cheaper than
anyone else in the book.  And none of them are necessarily right or wrong.
But when you can call a dozen different tuners in the phone book, and get a
half dozen different prices for a piano tuning...  well, I think the price
fixing arguments tend to be a bit more shaky.

I would rather tend to think that there would be less chance of those 'back
alley agreements' if we were all up front and open about our charges.  I've
got nothing to hide.

Just my take.

Best wishes,

Brian Trout