glosario pianistico revisitado

Asbel Jonathan Corrales ajthepianoman@hotmail.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:51:24 EST

Thanks, Paul, for the further clarifications provided.  Unfortunately, I
will not attempt to provide a translation for the items that you have
provided further clarification on as some of these terms do not necessarily
have a clear, definite translation that I am aware of, therefore, I'll leave
those to people like the gentleman that was referred to you in a previous
e-mail (Ramón Ramirez).  He will probably be better able to offer these
translations.

Good luck!

A.J.

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Paul S. Larudee" <larudee@pacbell.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: glosario pianistico revisitado
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:54:20 -0800

Asbel Jonathan Corrales wrote:

 > Although I'm completely fluent with reading, writing and speaking
Spanish,
 > some of the terms below need further clarification and others might be
very
 > difficult to interpret directly from one language to the other, but I
will
 > provide what I know and indicate what could use further clarifications.

Thanks, A.J.  Here are the further details you requested.

 > hide glue - 'more details'

animal glue  (I think it's just "cola de animal" or "cola animala")

 > piano lid - tapa del piano
 > stretcher (piano case part) - bastidor

 > bellyrail- 'more details'

The bellyrail is the rail that runs the width of a grand piano at the
back of the keybed.  It is the "back wall" of the action cavity.

 > soundboard rib - varilla de la tabla de sonidos

 > fallboard -

The fallboard is the case part that pivots forward to cover the keys.

 > cheek block -

The cheek blocks are the two blocks at opposite ends of the keyboard and
that you have to take out before the action is removed.  The fallboard
also covers them when it is in the closed position.

 > keyslip - 'more details'

The keyslip is the strip of finished wood that sits at the front of the
keybed, in front of the keys and the cheek blocks, and hides the front
of the keyframe up to the heights of the bottom of the keys.

 > piano lyre - lejía del piano

 > trapwork - 'more details'

The trapwork is the set of levers and other parts that connects the
pedals to the action parts.  (mecanico de los pedales?)

 > Pitman dowel - 'more details'

Usually just called the Pitman, it is the small dowel that passes
through the keybed of a grand piano and connects the lower trapwork with
the interior action parts.

 > pedal rod - varilla/vara del pedal
 > damper tray - bandeja sordina
 > post (grand damper action part that holds damper wire) - poste
 > post (support beam in back of upright pianos) - poste
 > back action (grand damper action) - acción trasera
 > bridge pin - alfiler de puente
 > caster - ruedecilla de mueble

 > ferrule - 'more details'

Found on some styles of furniture, it is the short metalic (usually
brass) sleeve at the tip of a furniture leg.  If there is a caster, it
sits above the caster.

 > balance rail pin - alfiler de riel de balance
 > front rail pin - alfiler de riel delantero
 > center pin cutters/nippers - cortador de alfiler central
 >
 > Regarding the word 'revisitado' in the SUBJECT field, are you trying to
say
 > "REVISED PIANO GLOSSARY"?  If so, the word 'revisitado' is not correct.
It
 > should be 'REVISADO'.  The 'IT' is extra.  I don't know if you're trying
 > say something else.  Please advise if you wish.
 >
 > A.J.

No, I meant to say "revisited" because this is the continuation of a
discussion begun a couple of months ago.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA
larudee@pacbell.net