ringing dampers

Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:21:28 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 25, 2000 7:57 PM
  Subject: Re: ringing dampers

  >The problem is that there is not enough weight on the damper lever to =
pull=20
  >the damper down on the string. If you take out one of the levers, see =
if=20
  >there is room to add another lead weight. Chances are there is not, =
so there=20
  >is really nothing that can be done to solve this problem. It is an=20
  >engineering problem. But don't expect the company to help you. One =
possible=20
  >solution, (one that I heard about on the list), is to add a fishing =
weight=20
  >(the kind you clamp to a fishing wire to help the lure sink), to the =
damper=20
  >wire. This will give the damper lever/wire enough weight to help the =
felts do=20
  >their job.=20
  >
  >Willem Blees
  >=20

  Quick fix. Looks bad. Next tuner/tech will expound on your defences.

  Add assist springs. Calibrate to the guideline in the Renner USA=20
  Underlever Replacement Kit.

  Accept no substitutes,

-----

  That's good, if the customer has the money.  But if they bought a =
Hyundai for budgetary reasons, they may not.

  If the problem is a lack of adequate mass, extra spring pressure will =
not improve damping but will increase touch weight.  It takes both mass =
and spring pressure to do the job. (See my Journal article on the =
subject.)=20

  Another way to add weight without pulling the damper tray is to add it =
to the damper head itself.  You can drill from the bass side using a =
Forstner bit or a spur bit and install one or two damper lever leads as =
necessary.  Black over them with a felt pen and they will be barely =
visible.

  Del