ringing dampers

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 22:23:51 EST

<< From:    harlip58@yahoo.com (Cameron Jacobi)
 I recently tuned a very poor quality Hyundai grand
 piano.  I have been servicing this particular
 instrument for about five years now, and find that it
 develops new inexplicable symptoms all the time - the
 most recent is that the bass dampers, while
 technically, fine(they are not worn out or out of
 position) simply don't dampen the sound well, after
 the notes are played.  When I press down on them with
 my hand, the sound stops more effectively.  What can
 be done about lousy dampers, in a generally lousy, but
 fairly new instrument?
 ___________________ >>

The problem is that there is not enough weight on the damper lever to pull
the damper down on the string. If you take out one of the levers, see if
there is room to add another lead weight. Chances are there is not, so there
is really nothing that can be done to solve this problem. It is an
engineering problem. But don't expect the company to help you. One possible
solution, (one that I heard about on the list), is to add a fishing weight
(the kind you clamp to a fishing wire to help the lure sink), to the damper
wire. This will give the damper lever/wire enough weight to help the felts do
their job.

Willem Blees