Loud Overtones From String

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:09:24 -0700 (MST)

Hi JC:

The most common source for these obnoxious sounds is the convergence of
the longitudinal mode of vibration with a transverse mode of vibration.
Bass strings are infamous for them and on the very best pianos. When
these two modes of vibration nearly coincide, it causes a very high
peak of energy at that approx. frequency. Voicing will not eliminate
it. Only change to a different string configuration will change it.
That is expensive, and you may just get a different high peak. The
Baldwin patent on controlling longitudinal mode freqs. was a step in
the right direction. As far as I know, they are not using those strings
any longer because of the expense and lack of public appreciation.

Jim Coleman, Sr.