Unison coupling

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:07:18 -0600

> The generally accepted explanation for the pitch drop moving from
the
> attack phase of the envelope, to the dwell, is roughly this: At
the
> beginning of the attack, the string vibrational amplitude is at
it's
> widest.
>
> Ron N

I am very sure pitch drop does not exist in a piano string to make
a differnce in music or tuning.    My  guess for "pitch drop" is
that  the first moments of the "attack phase" is noise, which is
mis-interpreted by various "tuning machines" as sharpness. Ron says
"At the beginning of the attack the string vibrational amplitude is
at it's widest."  I would say it is at its "wildest."
   I suspect the length of such moments to be less than, ummmm, 200
milliseconds.  From that time to, say,  9.5 seconds the frequency
does not change.  I would be surprised if it changed in 20 seconds.
  Or it it did, it might indicate the failure of the measuring
instrument, or the limits of accuracy of the measuring machine.
Experiments can easily be proposed to investigate these claims, it
is just a matter of getting access to the desired instruments.
---ric