String coupling

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 19:59:37 -0600

>Huh? Instead of down bearing???? You lost me there. The bridge termination
>has always been non fixed (and the agraffe and vee bar too for that
>matter), and if I'm suspecting that soundboard assembly impedance has
>something to do with a phenomenon, that sort of assumes that the bridge is
>moving along with the soundboard doesn't it? Which reversal of thinking is
>that, exactly?

Hi Ron,
            Maybe I'm not expressing myself too well, hence the rambling
thoughts.
Traditional thinking of down bearing!!!  but we have equal and opposite
forces at work here, the board is trying to push the strings upward with as
much force as the strings are pushing downward.
We most commonly talk about the effect of the strings on the board, but I'm
thinking more in terms of the effect of the board on the string behaviour.
It may not be reverse thinking for board makers, but it is to me.
 A thought came to me this afternoon, by using a Baldwin accu just piano.
one of the top notes in the centre section, (no forward duplex to cloud the
pictureadjust for minimal bearing, about 1lb down bearing pressure,measure
the coupling effect.  Next step readjust the bearing to about 6lbs, and
remeasure the coupling effect.
You suggestions are good ones, I'll save this for when I get some down time.
Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213