Unison coupling

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 07:12:57 -0600

>I wonder what the effect would be on pitch, if the board was made stiffer
>in this area?
>You make boards, any observations in this area?
>This tuning deviation could be a pointer to an ideal Z in this critical
>area. Or is that off the wall.
>
>Roger>

It was my original conjecture, that soundboard impedance had something to
do with the phenomenon, that started this whole thing. I also reported that
I did one rather simplistic test in the killer octave of one of my pianos,
and couldn't measure a pitch drop in the dwell, nor could I hear a pitch
drop when sounding the octave. What I did find was a shortening of the peak
pitch at attack. One sample from one non-"standard" piano, measured with a
Strobo-Con, doesn't go too far toward supporting any sort of conclusions.
Like I said, I need to get better measuring tools and try other pianos
before I'll have anything else to compare.

Ron N