repairing cracks in...

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 19:40:16 -0600

Hi Terry,
             If you are going to epoxy, Use the 24hr West system water thin
type.
Remove pin, fill hole, replace pin, wipe away excess with acetone soaked
cloth.
Have a supply of correct sized bridge pins, and replace any that are bent
or nicked.
 You should see the epoxy squeeze out of the crack, when you replace the
pin. If not remove pin and repeat. this will indicate that all cavities are
filled.
Regards roger

At 10:26 PM 21/01/00 -0800, you wrote:
>I have a Baldwin acrosonic (40" console) that I recently tuned after about
a 10C pitch raise. It appears that several cracks have enlarged around SOME
of the lower bass bridge pins. There were already some small hair line
cracks to begin with, but I was told this is somewhat normal, especially
for a 30 year old piano. None of bridge pins have lost their angle, or
straightened out, but I was wondering if I should (or could) inject some
epoxy into these small cracks, in order to stabilize them, and hopefully
prevent or at least minimize any further splintering. If so, please advise
as to what kind to use. I'd appreciate any advic3e on this matter. Thanks!

>terry Petersom
>"RPT in training"
>Los Angel-eeeze, CA

>Get free Internet service and email at http://www.worldspy.com