Advertising

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:27:00 -0500

When I first looked into YP ads I encountered this:

First you need a business phone account with the Phone Co, generally more
$ than residential service.  A $200.00 deposit  was required. You are then
charged
commercial rates for phone usage. The calling packages were not as attractive
as
residential ones.

The IRS would not allow it to be deductible if it is the only line in the
home.
So a
second line would have had to be installed.

Just starting out, I did not have the capital to fund this project so I
contacted dealers
for their floor and home tuning. I made contacts with other tuners who sent me
work
they could not get to or didn't want to get to.

It was slow at first but at least I was not working to maintain YP
exposure, it
was
hard enough keeping up the rent and car expenses.

A few years ago I tried a radio spot for fun, That's all it was, fun to
hear my
name on the radio. I did get a few jobs out of it but the ad-to-cash ratio was
17%.
I wanted a bigger draw and mostly I got comments, "I heard your ad", from
people
I met on the street. I gave free tuning to the local non-profit cable access
station
for an acknowledgement at the end of the program when they used the piano.
Again only comments from customers as I was tuning their piano, nothing new.
I even let them use various grands (which I needed to store :-) for the same
promo.
I told them I would tune it free when and if they had certain pianists taping;
anything
else, the producers of the spot would have to pay.  I saw the pianos being
used
all the time but never tuned, after a while I took the piano out because I did
not
want the exposure of an out of tune piano with my promo at the end. You cannot
rely on producers to tend to this detail, not even all pianists realize that a
recording
magically exposes tuning deficiencies. I was not of the ambition to tune it
every
month for gratis since there was absolutely no business being derived from it.

They went back to the comically decrepit spinet. I referred them to a 'new'
guy
in town :-)  and see his name in promo now.

The best, fastest business building tool is word of mouth.
Do your job, do it well, the money will follow.

Jon Page