Strange answering machine message

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:00:32 PST

List,
The strangest message of my career was awaiting me on my answering machine
last night.  A customer who puts on recitals in her home called several days
ago for me to tune her piano because one of the recitals is coming up first
week in February.  She called again last night, sobbing (literally!) that
she had been calling and calling and calling and couldn't reach me, that she
knew I was getting my messages, that she likes me so much and really wants
me to tune her piano, why am I not calling back?  have we gone out of
business (she's really crying!)  It sounded so tragic!

The really tragic part is that I _did_ call her back, twice, once on Monday
evening when I spoke with her husband (she had already gone to bed and again
on Tuesday when she and I set up an appointment for Feb. 2 at 10:00am!

Today she called again before I returned her message from last night and
reiterated that she hadn't been able to reach me,  when I told her that we
had spoken three days prior and had set up an appointment for the 2nd of
Feb., she was stunned.

I like the lady a lot, she plays wonderfully and has been someone great to
talk with whenever I have tuned for her.  Her husband is a retired doctor,
do you suppose I should say something to him?  Surely he is aware of this?
My mother died of Alzheimers three years ago and this particular customer
was a big help to me at that time--what a strange world!

Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Diane