Unison coupling

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 01:15:51 -0600

> >>The frequency of vibrating piano strings is not stable, but
tends to
> >>lower as the string continues to sound.

I would like to see a reference to support this.   Studies done in
1943 as reprinted in _Piano Technician's Journal_ Jan. 1964
studied the "measurement of the frequencies of the partials and
their amplitudes as functions of time."  They did not report a
lowering of freq as the string continued to sound ( ie function of
time.)

This was reprinted from "Observations on the Vibrations of Piano
STrings" by OH Schuck and R. W. Young of C.G. Conn Ltd., Elkhart,
Indiana.  Journal of American Acoustical Society ,(JASA) Vol 15,
Nol 1, 1-11, July 1943.

The interesting parts of this article was proposing that the
variance of the partial from true harmonic was proportional between
a constant and the square of the partial number. Also the actual
methods they used to produce and record their data.

An interesting observation that goes contrary to what some say
today was that the method of striking the key did not influence the
frequencies of the partials, "as it was found that variations in
the strength of the blow produced negligible effects on the modal
frequencies, the key was struck manually."  FWIW  the "vibration
pickup" was a "crystal vibration pick-up fastened to a rib of the
sounding board". that was "fed through an analyzer to a chromatic
stroboscope".    The analyzer I think was one that filters out all
frequencies but a small band.  If a "chromatic stroboscope" is like
an oscilliscope, I don't know.
	As with all scientific investigations, the scene repeats itself,
but with newer and better and glitzier equipment, making it that
much more exciting.  Might be interesting to repeat these
experiments with a state of the art oscilliscope.  The crystal
pickup might be compared to a magnetic pickup or a pzm.    A
vibrating piano wire clamped between two points on a railroad rail
might be photographed with a strobe at each of the partial freq, or
simply observed with a hi-tech strobe light.  If the frequency
really does lower in time, a strobe light should tell beyond all
doubt.
	It is probable inharmonicity really can't be measured.  Such
concerns soon get scrutinized for practicality and point of view.
What is the need for a mathematical formula to predict
inharmonicity.?  I am curious, that's enough.  Now what about that
grant?
---ric