Freezing pianos/cracked plates

Terry Beckingham beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:49:36 -0600 (CST)

At 11:20 PM 1/21/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,

I'm beginning to feel like a history professor.

Are you old with a beard? That would make you a history professor. Thanks
for the history lesson.

>I've not heard of "fragile" plates. Was it near pitch prior to your work?
Is it structurally sound? If yes to both, you should have no problem.

Perhaps I was given a bum steer on the fragile aspect of Doherty plates. The
info came from two respected RPTs in western Canada.

>The most common cause of structural weakness results from glue failure.
>In my opinion, hyde glue, organic by nature, is prone to bacterial attack,
accelerated by constant changes in dryness and humidity levels.

I actually rescued this piano from the owner who was going to take an axe to
it with the tension on the plate. I discouraged hime from doing so and he
gave me the piano provided I would take it out of his house.
It is structually sound now. Both toe blocks were detached when I got it. I
don't know how it stayed upright in that condition. It has actually turned
out to be a very nice piano. I did the soundboard repairs, re-gilded the
plate, new tuning pins, music wire and a set of GC bass string, new Abel
hammers and dampers, new keytops, refinished cabinet and a new bench. I
plays quite nicely. The previous owner was amazed when he saw it after it
was completed.

>Are you above the tree line?

Not quite that far north John. We are only about half way up the province of
Manitoba. Our main industry is pulp and paper/logging, so there are plenty
of trees around.

Cheers

Terry Beckingham