Freezing pianos/cracked plates

Terry Beckingham beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:15:50 -0600 (CST)

Hi Gang,

I have an early 1900's Doherty upright which I have extensively
reconditioned, I'd almost call it a rebuild. I have two potential customers
coming to look at it in the next few days. I have heard that Doherty plates
are somewhat fragile and that one should not raise them above pitch when
they are restrung. The restringing went well. The piano came out very well.

Up here in the hinterland, our temperatures are around minus 25 to minus 30
celcius during the winter months.

If I should sell this piano, what do you suppose the chances would be that
the plate might crack during the move from my shop to the home of a new
owner? I imagine that the pitch of the piano would increase substantially
being out in the cold for the hour or so that it takes to get it to its new
home.

I suppose I could lower the pitch a half step or so for the move and then
retune it afterwards.

Any comments or suggestions?

Ron, who needs a cryogenic tank when one lives up here 8^)

Thanks in advance

Terry Beckingham