"Musette" and erroneous marketing

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 09:00:02 -0800

Ron Nossaman wrote:
<snip>

> You all know the Messo Thermoneal Stabilizer, the Harmi-Tone action,
> Storytone Mahogany soundboard (guaranteed for life against splitting or
> cracking), The Damp Proofed Action (what the heck does that mean?), the
> Diaphragmatic Soundboard, Syncrotone strings, Pipe Organ Tone Chamber (a
> special case, if ever there was), Genuine Reinforced hammers, and a couple
> of hundred more that I've mercifully forgotten. The other day, I came
> across one I didn't remember having seen before. I tuned an
> honest-to-by-gosh Musette!

<snip>

> Under the lid, I found a decal (not a sticker, mind you, this one was still
> firmly attached, and made no claims to American Craftsmanship). It read:
> "Practiano". I thought it sounded like something Italians say when you
> sneeze, but on closer examination, I found the sucker... a muffler rail!
> Yes folks, it's true. I have now tuned a Musette with a Practiano.

Another one of my favorites is the "violin bridge", (I don't remember the
brand).

I have come across the "Musette" a number of times when I worked in the
midwest.  They are lovely aren't they?  This of course is a complete misuse of
the word since it does have a musical meaning.  The term actually refers to two
unisons played slightly out of tune of each other for a vibrato effect.  As
some of you may know I play the accordion.  Many accordions are equipped with
musette tunings to provide this type of reed sound.  To what degree the second
reed is de-tuned is called a "wet" tuning, i.e. it is either a slightly wet or
very wet tuning.  The opposite of a musette tuning is a "Dry" tuning which is
of course the pure unison sound we are most familiar with.  Sometime you may
come across a pianist who requests what is sometimes called a "honky-tonk"
tuning which is often associated with ragtime.  This of course could
technically be called a "musette tuning".  Just a little trivia for you.

The truly ironic side of this is that you found the word "musette" on a Winter
spinet.  Since these pianos have so many false beats that it is impossible to
achieve a pure unison anyway, "musette" could actually be the best way to
describe it!!!

Rob Goodale, RPT