Grand Regulation

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 08:35:46 -0800

Dpshans@AOL.COM wrote:

> List,
>
> Here's a fairly basic question from a somewhat newbie: I've noticed on a few
> grands (new and used, various makes) that a few hammers do a lot of
> double-striking on a soft blow.  Seems this is a situation of perhaps too
> strong a repetition spring, or perhaps improper checking, but I've not read a
> proper diagnosis or regulation sequence in any of the literature.  Please
> help further my knowledge of "Regulation 101," and thanks in advance.

You are correct sir, an overly ambitious rep spring or under achieving back check
could be the culprit.  Look at the back check first, as the spring should be
regulated after the hammer is in proper check.  A place to start is the hammer
tail.  Be certain that it is properly shaped.  I have seen both new and old
pianos with such horrible tails that it makes you wonder how they could ever work
at all.  Also check the back of the tail to see if there is sufficiant friction
that it won't slip out from the back check.  Remember however, checking is
accomplished by the crossing of two intersecting arcs, NOT friction.  SOME
friction is necessary for gripping but if the tails are too rough the buckskin
will wear out prematurely.

Next look at the back check angle.  If the head, (not the bottom of the wire), is
bent too far in either direction there can be problems.  Use a wire bender to
adjust this.  If you attempt this by hand you are prone to bent the entire wire
and not just the top.  The lower key half of the wire is the last adjustment.
Although many sources say this should not be done by hand I must say that this is
my prefered method.  I know I am not alone in this by any means.  It should be
mentioned that both the head end and the lower key end of the wire may require
alternate adjustments until the proper position is determined.  In any case the
wire should not have to be bent in any weird extreme.  If this becomes the case
then there is likely something terribly wrong with the tail shape or length.

Once checking seems to be working properly you can turn your attention to the
springs.  The proper adjustment should be a slow but definitive rise.  If the
hammer "pops" out of checking wildly then it is clearly way too strong.  You may
find that you need to alternately regulate the back check position and the spring
tension if they are both radically wrong.

One more item that should be considered is inadequate after touch.  If the dip is
too shallow it is possible that the back check is not traveling upward high
enough.  If this be the case then you will need to back track until things start
meshing together correctly, including possible improper blow distance.  If you
continue to find these kinds of problems you may reach the conclusion where it is
looking more like the action is in need of a complete regulation which must be
done in a specified order.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV