Sweet tuning melts string!

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 07:54:10 -0800

At 10:26 AM 01/21/2000 -0500, Newton wrote:
>"Out of the mouths of babes".
>
> >Isn't it wonderful what new things the beginners come up with!!

Yes, always.

> > Isn't it a wonderful experience having a string break when you are so
>intently concentrating?  Kind of like having an instant heart attack.
>Shortens you life expectation by two hours and 12 minutes each time.

Reminds me of one which happened when I was a beginner, too. Tuning
a Hamilton in a school gym _storage closet_ while kids practiced basketball
in the gym outside. The bass strings sounded interesting, due to a
purple mimeographed map of the world threaded through them. I was tuning
in the mid to high treble when I heard a bang and felt a sting only one
inch above my left eye. The lowest (wound) tenor string had broken off
the becket and _thrown it at me!_ I bent it a new one, cursing the darned
ingrate thing, which had attacked the first technical help it had had in
many a
year. It reminded me of Ted Sambell talking about "snarky pianos."

Susan Kline