S&S Hammers

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:03:26 -0500

At 08:45 AM 01/21/2000 -0400, you wrote:
<snip>
>     So I wish I had the magic treatment, exactly the same for each
>hammer so I could bring them to the concert tone I want like in one step,
>treating them all alike so there would never be the inherent unevenness
>of response.   I wish for a consistent magic method, i.e. x number of
>drops of y plus n number of stabs at points b and c with a template of
>size for each hammer, with yielding more consistent results.
>
>-Mike
>Born and raised among the instant gratificationist generation.

A good place to start is to have the hammer weight graduated making a smooth
line when plotted on a graph. This is accomplished with a gram scale.
Dave Stanwood has the info on this.

Weighing the Strike Weight of the shanks is helpful also, you'd be
surprised to
discover as much as 7 different weights within a set ranging from 1.5gr to
2.1gr.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.