Auto expenses

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:23:32 -0500

John,

I use a 1995 Oldsmobile sedan for both work and personal.  When figuring business expenses for tax purposes I use the figure allowed by the US government, which is currently around 32 cents (US) per
mile.  I think this figure is to cover the depreciation, maintenance, fuel, insurance, the whole shebang.  On my tax return for the year 1998 that was about 6.5% of my total gross receipts.

Of course the driver should be paid enough extra for his time so he can make a reasonable profit from his service.  I don't have enough information or expertise to know if your driver is being
"shortchanged" or not.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger