Strip Muting/unisons

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:12:56 -0600

Bill,

You wrote:
<<<For me, the strip mute allows me to move across the piano quickly.  When
tune aurally, I still tune up and down in whole steps the way I learned from
Jim Coleman RPT.  This whole step scale seems to cause less internal stress
than the ever tension building chromatic scale.  The pins are easy to find,
they are always in a straight line.>>>

OK, 'splain.  Less internal stress?  Do you go C-D-E-F#-G#-A#-C all the way
up and down, then the rest of the notes up and down?  Do you rely
exclusively on your octave-fifth and double octave tests, or do you use
3rds, 10ths, 17ths as well?  (I have found that my ear prefers a more pure
octave-fifth than a double octave, so I tend to tune a sharper treble.)  How
would the pins be easier to find than by going chromatically?  Do you get
every other one, and why is it easier than moving to the adjacent one?

<<<It usually only takes me 45 minutes to tune the piano twice over
completely and have a very good, stable job.>>>

That is pretty fast.  Do you test on the first pass, or rely on octave sound
alone?

<<<So, in the end, I do not challenge what the single mute tuners say.  It's
just that I rarely get to the point where I find a piano already so well in
tune that I can use that method.  So, finding the method that works for you
under differing circumstances is the thing to do.  From what you have
written, it seems that you are doing very well.>>>

I usually do not find a piano that is that stable, either.  But, I am
spending some time in the trenches, so to speak, learning different methods.
So I will occasionally do two passes while charging only for one--just for
the privilege of learning.  Recently, I even tuned a Henry F. Miller spinet
using Virgil's method.  Just for kicks.  Never again, but at least I know it
can be done.

Best regards,

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS