Strip Muting/unisons

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:34:24 EST

In a message dated 1/19/00 5:34:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jformsma@dixie-net.com (John M. Formsma) writes:

<< <<<The shift that occurs will be with all unisons by the more or less same
 amount.>>>

 Since you are very experienced, I accept this as true.  I also worry about
 Murphy's Law--that the more *could* be where the less should be, and vice
 versa.  Maybe I should not concern myself about this.

 These things are not said to be argumentative; rather, it is only relating
 my experience up to this point.  In 10 years, I will probably read this and
 think to myself that it really does not matter.  I also realize that a lot
 of this is subjective rather than scientific.  Maybe it falls into the
 category of arguing how many angels can fit on the head of a pin....  <g> >>

As you usually have been, John, all of your observations are correct.  Strip
muting is not "better" than the single mute approach.  What I have a problem
with are those who insist that you can't properly tune a piano that way and
even worse, those who strip mute the entire piano and turn each pin only
once. That would only be a rough tuning in most circumstances and could
usually be done in 20 minutes or less, not enough time to spend tuning a
piano.

To me, the advantages of strip muting are mostly psychological but those
advantages are very real to me.  Most pianos I am asked to tune, even concert
instruments which are tuned several times a year, are enough out of tune that
a pitch change is required.  The distinct 4 season climate I live in causes
the pitch and octaves to change enough in only a few months that it makes it
necessary.

For me, the strip mute allows me to move across the piano quickly.  When I
tune aurally, I still tune up and down in whole steps the way I learned from
Jim Coleman RPT.  This whole step scale seems to cause less internal stress
than the ever tension building chromatic scale.  The pins are easy to find,
they are always in a straight line.

To me, it is far more tedious and time consuming to insert the mute every at
every string and at every step of the way.  For some, however, this is what
you do and the strip mute seems cumbersome.  George Defebaugh RPT used to
say, "You can tune a piano a lot more quickly and easily twice than you can
fight with it once".  I caught on to that right away and have lived by it
ever since.  It usually only takes me 45 minutes to tune the piano twice over
completely and have a very good, stable job.

When programming a tuning for the SAT, I long ago decided that my EBVT should
start with A3 on 0.0 and that after that, each note could either be a whole
or .5 number.  If it really seemed to fall in between, I would try the next
half or whole number up or down and see how that sounded.  I could usually
make it fit.  The CMSE is only .5 cents.  If I have tuned a little sharper,
it has largely been absorbed just doing that alone when tuning the outer
octaves.  The idea of establishing the pitch by comparing a single string
with a single string plus the other techniques I use seem to make the CMSE
not to be a problem, both before and after I even was aware that it is a real
phenomenon.

I think it is important to distinguish between the CMSE and just plain
instability.  It is very easy to pound a unison flat by quite a bit more than
.5 cents.  Under most circumstances, if I can just get the piano to really
hold on to the program, I will have a superb sounding tuning. That is the
best I could do in Providence and also at the rematch with Virgil Smith RPT
in Chicago.  There was no time to "customize" the program except for the
wound strings in both cases.

I remember showing my Walter Grand program to Dr. Al Sanderson.  He thought
it looked "too generic" (and it looked way too sharp to him in the high
treble.  Jim Coleman likes the way I tune my octaves, though and so does
Virgil Smith. I think most people do but there will always be some people who
like a more contracted sound.  He thought that I could certainly make some
improvements in it if I listened carefully enough.  I had intended to do just
that but as circumstances were, including harassment by one of the Assistant
Convention Directors who found a reason to not permit me the time I needed to
do it, I had to go with the program I had worked out for a Walter Grand in
Madison.  Only during the final pass did I make small corrections in the
wound strings.

I did use the single mute after the final pass to touch up the unisons.  This
is exactly the reverse of the way you describe and also what Virgil Smith
says but I don't really find a contradiction.  Each time I have taken the PTG
RPT Tuning Exam, I have scored 100% on my unisons.  I have even been
"condemned with faint praise" by some Steinway personnel, who have never
liked any of my temperaments but who have said that my unisons were so good
that it was the reason they thought the tuning as a whole had found success.
Ray Chandler RPT of Kawai has said that too.

So, in the end, I do not challenge what the single mute tuners say.  It's
just that I rarely get to the point where I find a piano already so well in
tune that I can use that method.  So, finding the method that works for you
under differing circumstances is the thing to do.  From what you have
written, it seems that you are doing very well.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin