Charles Walters Pianos

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 20:19:29 EST

In a message dated 1/18/00 4:51:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tito@PhilBondi.com (Phil Bondi) writes:

<< Am I the only person on this list who owns one?

 Rook >>

No sir, I own a 42" console traditional oak with Pianodisc and Dampp-Chaser
systems.  It has been a superb piano from the start.  I have never had to do
anything but tune it and space a couple of hammers.  The pianists I invite
over are always impressed by the rich tone. The lower strike point in the low
bass gives it an extra "throaty" kind of sound along the lines of the big
Baldwin upright but instead of being so exaggerated, it is just enough to
make it sound like a much bigger piano than it is.

I custom ordered mine sending a color sample so that it would match my other
furniture.  The pins are very firm but it tunes easily. In the summertime, if
I am using the Pianodisc, it is so loud that you can hear it all the way out
into the street.  The neighbors all say they love to hear my piano playing.
Have you ever enjoyed the music on you neighbor's stereo?  There is something
about piano music that everyone likes.

I think they must have done an extra special prep job on it and used their
very best set of bass strings.  Everything is so perfect.  It was the most
flawless alignment I have ever seen.  Only after several months did one
hammer, then another several more months later require burning.  In the
middle, everything is very close together.  The slightest error in alignment
can mean one hammer rubbing against another.  But that is a very small
problem to have.  Otherwise, even though it is played a lot either manually
or with the disc, it hasn't even needed any lost motion adjustment yet.

The Walter family is the best of the best to work with.  I have no doubt that
their strong religious convictions have had a very positive impact on the
business and has contributed to its success.  I respect their beliefs but I
must say I would just as much if they were Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist or
anything else.  If they were quiet about their beliefs during business
matters, they would be just as good to work with. So to me, the religious
fervor ends up being just the personality trait of that family, it is not an
issue.

The grand they make is exceptional too.  I had the extreme pleasure of using
one at the Temperament Festival in Providence.  I tuned one at the factory
for them in the EBVT.  They liked the way it sounded and so were agreeable to
have me tune the piano that way in the exhibits.  This allowed me to tune it
several times over before the event which was on the last day.  Getting the
piano to hold on so superbly to the program I had made for it made it sound
super, indeed.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin