a newbie at bat

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart@juno.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:18:19 -0600

This may get a bit wordy, so here's the subject:"My first real concert
tuning".  I'm looking for information, as a lot happened, both good, and
questionable, and I need to know more than I do the "next" time this
happens.

Stephen Nielson and Ovid Young- the artists.
Memorial Drive UMC in Houston, the place, seating about 1000 in a huge
cathedral celing room, into which were brought the Baldwin L and a KG3 on
Thursday night.  I went over Friday and raised them about five beats to
get them to hold at 440.(They had not been tuned in a year, and were
moved from another building on the grounds, across a pea-gravel/cement
walk, and up five steps)  Saturday went over and tuned them together. (No
human humidity machines had been in the room by this time.)  Today they
played four things at each of three services today, the room being mostly
full at each service, and I went back over this afternoon to "touch
things up".  At first run through, I was very disappointed in how things
were.  After I watched these two men pound those poor undersized pianos
for an hour, I was amazed things were as good as they were. (If I had
known how heavy handed they played, I would simply have chickened out and
gotten one of the truly good tuners in the city to do it.)   I had to
restrip the pianos (sorry, I still use strips), and go through both again
fully, though I only had to tweak the temperament on a couple notes on
the L, and adjust accordingly on the KG3.  There were some octaves that
were out as much as a couple of beats, except in the top, where both
pianos still needed to be pulled up a bit.   I heard only one octave
tonight that seemed not to hold, and one unison bothered me, both notes
on the Kawai.  The church's organist said the pianos "sounded fabulous"-
for which I was most appreciative.

HOWEVER.   Several keys stuck tonight on the L.  They didn't stick during
any of the tunings, even two hours before concert tonight, nor did they
stick in any of the three services this morning.

Now, the pianists and I all assume major humidity changes to be the
culprit with the keys.  As with most churches, this place doesn't want to
tune regularly, nor have any work done, except when it's "broke".

I'd appreciate thoughts regarding,
a) the relatively low pitch at start, and instability this morning
b) guesses as to how much the humidity might have changed a reasonably
stable tuning.
c) should I have guessed keys might have stuck, though nothing indicated
they would. .I'd even left them a note for the morning with my cell phone
# in case anything showed up as problematic.
d) billing........   In effect I did four tunings, plus the touch-ups
required to tweak things as best I could, and I had get into the action
to fix a slipping jack, and reset a hammerline which had become
inconsistent over the years.
e) These pianos are used as parlor pianos or perhaps in Sunday school as
usual fare, not regularly tuned and used "hard".  Should I have insisted
on tuning them once more (though time wouldn't have allowed it, to bring
them more stability, given the starting pitch of about A-435?)

No need to make this a public issue, taking up a lot of band width. It's
an inexperienced tooner attempting to learn from the  unexpected.  I'd be
glad if a few oldies would be willing just to drop me a bit of a note.

I was rather tense through the evening, expecting at any moment strings
to break, or notes to simply cease to exist.  They really needed
9-footers. Not having same, they attempted to make the little things
sound like 9-footers.

Thanks
les bartlett
houston