Old Steinway Upright

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:24:22 -0500

To All Steinway Enthusiasts--

I've just run back from an old Steinway upright, #24054, from about 1870. Had it not been for the unmistakably identifiable action, I would have run much faster from it. Being 50 years older than my mother (and she's still going strong), perhaps there's hope!

What is the availability of parts? I've never seen the likes of a damper "spoon" which is a slightly curved wooden thing glued into a groove near the back of the whip. (Where else)!

Mechanical parts have been butchered and borrowed from within throughout the years. It needs the full treatment. Pitch is about 60 cents flat evenly throughout but with some slightly loose tuning pins. Its saving grace is that it appears structurally sound and has been refinished (without a name).

It was purchased at auction some twenty years ago for $300. by the owner's mother.

Is this Steinway upright worth preserving, i.e. rebuilding? Does anyone want the job?

Working on real oldies is not my cup of tea but I still have the obligation to advise.

Help ! ! !   Please ! ! ! !

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario, Canada