unisons by ear or machine

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:47:52 -0600

Richard,

Do this as a test to aurally verify pitch change for tuned unisons:

Tune the middle strings of F3-A3 to approx 7 bps.  Then tune one outer
string of A3 to the middle.  You will then have a 2-string unison.  If you
have a perfect unison, the beat rate for F3-A3 will be just a bit slower
with the unison with two strings than just the middle string and F3.  If
this difference is not perceptible, then tune the middle string of A4 to the
perfect 2-string A3 unison.  Make F3-A4 beat exactly the same as F3-A3.
Exactly.  Then tune one outer string of A4 to make a perfect unison.  You
will notice a "big" difference in beat rates from just the middle string
alone.  The F3-A4 beat rate will now be slower.  To verify this, put your
mute back on the outer A4 string, allowing just the middle to sound.
Compare F3-A4 beat rates, then remove the mute, and listen to the 2-string
A4 with F3.  You should hear a pretty good difference in the beat rates
then.

Each string in an aurally tuned unison may not necessarily be the exact same
frequency.  Some will be just a hair flatter than the others, depending on
which part of the scale you are in.  The overall pitch of three strings
together will be a little flatter than the middle string that was first
tuned, assuming you begin with the middle string.

The flatter tuned unisons is why Virgil E. Smith tunes without a temperament
strip, using only two mutes to tune the entire piano.  I have been using his
octave (not his temperament) method for several weeks now, and have noticed
a big improvement in the sound of the finished piano.  Tune unisons as you
go, then tune the octaves, listening mainly at the 2:1 level, but hearing
all the others as well.  Get the best octave sound possible.

Best regards,

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS