Ed's class--was: A question on temperament-Dale

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 22:37:19 -0600

List,

If you get a chance to attend Ed Foote's class, by all means do so!  It was
one of my faves at the 1999 convention.  Very good.  Ed explains the various
temperaments, how they came on the scene, and has a visual demonstration
which helps to show how the size of the thirds vary from ET.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of A440A@AOL.COM
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2000 2:08 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: RE: A question on temperament-Dale

Dale writes:
>A generous portion of Ed Foote's class last year was devoted to
performance.
>I believe that is also his intention this year, I'll let Ed address that
> question.

Greetings,
   Yes, with great pleasure, I can say that Enid Katahn will be there to
play
the demonstration pieces.
    The class uses one piano, because I think there is a limited amount of
"new" that the ear can absorb in one sitting,   three or four temperaments
at
once seems to cause confusion among those just beginning their
investigation.

     A temperament is a tool that we use to make money with. My class is
designed to increase the number of people that are using the temperaments,
(by promising more money, satisfaction, and all that other snake oil!), so I
approach the idea by presenting several different pieces on a temperament,
One which I have found useful in building a clientele sensitized to key
color.  In that sense, it is a beginner's course, I suppose.
     The "hard-core-full-comma-tonality" crowd may see it as an old hat,
over-simplified survey, and the die-hard-mono-temperament crowd will have
other places to be at those times, but there is a much larger group between
these extremes that can certainly entertain a new approach to something we
do
so much of.  Those are the people for whom I am trying to be of most value.
Regards to all,
Ed Foote